logo

#FitReaders Check-In: April 17, 2015

logo

Welcome to #FitReaders!! Felicia the Geeky Blogger and I are super excited to be co-hosting this fitness-oriented group during 2015. For the months of April – June 2015, I will be hosting the official check-ins. To learn more about #FitReaders, or to sign up for April, click the image above. This is my weekly check-in post where I share about my week, and I hope you share about yours as well. You can also catch Felicia’s weekly check-in HERE.

If you have a weekly check-in blog post or put your updates on any social media site, please leave a link to your check-in posts in the comment section, below. Or, if you want to use this post as your weekly check-in, leave a comment telling us how your week went!

My Week:

I am happy to report that all the snow in my yard has melted!! While there are still piles in shady places around town, there is none in my yard. The crocuses are finally blooming, and I am seeing some green. Of course, with all of the snow gone, I am left with a very messy yard. I think some intensive yard work is in my workout schedule this weekend!

Crocuses blooming in my yard.

Crocuses blooming in my yard. (Please ignore the leftover fall foliage!)

As for my health and well-being, it’s a mixed bag. I gained weight for the third week in a row (but still below my goal weight), even though I was able to get outside and move. I’ve noticed that my walks, while longer, are also slower, so that means fewer calories burned sometimes. And it really goes back to the junk food and snacking that I talked about last week. So I’m making a conscious effort to cut back on the extras. So far, it seems to be helping.

My Movement:
Friday: none
Saturday: 33 minutes walking
Sunday: 30 minutes walking
Monday: 45 minutes walking
Tuesday: 86 minutes walking
Wednesday: 62 minutes walking
Thursday:  45 minutes BodyFlow + 30 minutes walking

Questions for YOU!

As you all know, I’m hosting the second quarter #FitReaders and am responsible for the prizes awarded at the end of June. I‘m wondering what to offer up as a prize and want input for you folks! I need something that can be sent anywhere – we have international participants. It can’t be super heavy or wicked expensive, but fun, enjoyable, etc. Of course, one option is a gift card – it could be to Amazon or Barnes & Noble, or someplace else. I could do water bottles, t-shirts, headbands, etc. What do you think? Leave me some suggestions, please. I’ll look into it and then come back later with my follow up.

How was your week? Did you hit any milestones? Try a new food or workout? Celebrate your week with us!

23 Responses to “#FitReaders Check-In: April 17, 2015”

1. gk nelson says:

This last weekend was one I “worked” during and the fitbit isn’t waterproof so it was off most of the time. I did get my 12k steps in every other day.

I started Monday lifting free weights at the gym, went again Tuesday and attempted to run Wednesday (OhMy(burning)Quads!), Thursday is knit night so I got a break and tonight is classroom presentations.

This week has been very up and down. Some very heavy things happened and I have taken some time to seriously evaluate what my goals are. But some really good things are happening as well, so I have my fingers crossed.

The hardest part is getting my schedule worked out for running/lifting/class, at some point something is going to have to give.

I keep the junk food out of the house, that helps so much! Then I keep healthy snacks around for when I get hungry. Lots of fruit, nuts, guac 100 cal packs, cherry tomatoes, and sugar snap peas. I try not to have anything processed available.

I like the headbands especially bondiband.com they have some cool funky styles, and I would never say no to blender/shaker bottle and amazon is always welcome!

• Jen Twimom says:

Busy schedules and heavy “things” are no fun, especially when the cost is our own health and well-being. Maybe while life is crazy, try to do things like wearing light weights while doing cardio – so you are hitting two objectives at once?

Thanks for the feedback on the prizes. I’m adding the info to my list! I hope you find this weekend a little more restful!

• gk nelson says:

Oh, I could run with my backpack on. That might be good.

My heavy stuff was dealing with other people’s very poor life choices. Luckily, they lived.

2. Melanie Simmons says:

I had a tough week. I’ve been tired, but I’ve still gotten some exercise in. I’m hoping to pick it up more next week. I’ve been doing the Daily Burn a few times a week. I would like to pick it up another day or two. I’m also hoping to start riding my horse again soon.

3. Angie F. says:

Pretty flowers! 😀

I’m definitely feeling the burn this week with Blogilates! I did forget to work out one day, but otherwise I’m good!

4. Carole says:

I took Saturday off myself. 😉 Feeling lazy. But good job the rest of the week!!!

5. teddyree says:

Pretty! I love seeing crocus pop up in Spring … we don’t get snow or anything even resembling the freezing temperatures you do but it’s still nice to see first spring flowers. Well done on your effort with food choices and of course the walking. I tend to crave junk when I feel down even though I usually feel awful after eating it.

6. Bride of the Book God says:

A heavy week at work and lots of domestic stuff too, but still managed 7km so not brilliant but better than nothing

7. Gayle Cochrane says:

Love the crocuses picture. I was able to get my 10k steps in, but lost it on the food tracking at a weekend stay my folks house. Just couldn’t track, so I am back at that today. My mother is the Queen of Scones. Everything you mentioned for prizes sounds fun. Headbands, gift cards, whichever is easiest for you.

8. Brandie says:

I think giftcards are always a good way to go! Yay for the snow being gone! We had beautiful weather this weekend and I hope it continues. I have been really bad about cravings and junk food lately and I need to put a stop to it. I did so good for months, but lately I just want it all.

• Jen Twimom says:

Thanks Brandie. I hear you about the junk food. I have never deprived myself, but made good choices. Now I am making very poor choices. Not sure where my head is at!

9. Kristin T. says:

Love the picture…I love crocuses and really need to plant some around my yard. They always signify spring to me!!! We had pretty good weather last week and the dogs and I took full advantage of it with lots of extra walks!!! I’ve been trying to up my water intake, which helps curb my snacking – keeps me fuller more. It’s the little things that help.

• Jen Twimom says:

You know… that’s a very good point about water. I’ve not been drinking as much, which probably adds to my increase in snacking. I’m going to work harder on water consumption this week… starting tomorrow since I left my water bottle at home! 🙂

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. #FitReaders: Weekly Check-in April 17 2015 -Geeky Bloggers Book Blog - […] Remember Check-Ins till July are done over That’s What I’m Talking About […]
logo