Top Ten Things I Like To Do in October
by Christina Henry
BLACK SPRING, the final book in the BLACK WINGS series, releases October 28, and there’s nothing better than your favorite Agent of Death and those Snickers mini bars you stashed in the pantry so the trick-or-treaters wouldn’t get them.
We all love Halloween around my house. My family prepares for October 31 with lots and lots of immersion into the good, the autumn, and the scary. These are my favorite things to do in October, before the leaves have fallen and winter covers Chicago until April (or sometimes May, or June).
10) Make the pumpkin patch rounds. I like to go to all of them – and I do mean all of them. This requires serious commitment, as most of them are only open for four or five weekends.
9) Attend all of the autumn/harvest festivals.
8) Find any event that doesn’t fall into the above two categories but might possibly have a candy apple bar, and go there.
7) Eat candy apples until I feel like I can’t look at another one until next October.
6) Hike as much as possible. It’s glorious to be outside in the autumn.
5) Read Ray Bradbury and Shirley Jackson and Stephen King until I think I’m too scared to sleep, and then pass out anyway because the cold wind blowing in my window is so much better than air-conditioning.
4) Watch not-too-scary movies with my little guy.
3) Watch scary movies with my big guy.
2) Go camping. It’s the best time of the year. There are less people and it’s nice and cold at night so you can snuggle into your sleeping bag.
1) Find everything that has pumpkin in it at Trader Joe’s. Purchase and consume it. Purchase more and stash it so that I can have pumpkin pancakes in the middle of July.
About the Book:
BLACK SPRING (Black Wings #7)
Publication date: October 28, 2014
A former Agent of death, Madeline Black now has everything to live for, most importantly, her unborn child. But Chicago has become ground zero in a struggle between ancient creatures, and only Maddy can stop the carnage…
The mayor of Chicago has announced a plan to round up the city’s supernatural beings and put them in camps. With her due date looming, Maddy’s best move would be to lay low for a while. But not everyone is willing to respect her privacy. Hounded by tentacled monsters, a rogue shapeshifter, and a tenacious blogger, Maddy turns to her most powerful ally, her uncle Daharan, only to find him missing.
Just when it seems like things can’t get any worse, Maddy gets an invitation in the mail—to Lucifer’s wedding. Turns out everyone has been invited, friends and enemies alike. And with that kind of guest list, it’s highly unlikely there will be a happily ever after.
About the Author:
CHRISTINA HENRY is the author of the BLACK WINGS series (Ace/Roc) featuring Madeline Black, an Agent of Death, and her popcorn-loving gargoyle sidekick Beezle: BLACK WINGS, BLACK NIGHT, BLACK HOWL, BLACK LAMENT, BLACK CITY, BLACK HEART and BLACK SPRING. She is also the author of the forthcoming dark fantasy ALICE (summer 2015).
Christina was born in New York and now lives on the North Side of Chicago with her husband and son. She sees no conflict in rooting for both the Yankees and the Cubs.
She also enjoys running long distances, eating large quantities of cinnamon rolls, reading anything she can get her hands on and watching movies with zombies, samurai and/or subtitles.
Christina is holding a HUGE giveaway hop!
- 1 winner will receive a tote from Penguin with all 7 books in the series
- 1 winner will receive a signed SET of all 7 books from Christina Henry PLUS a $25 gift card to Barnes & Noble
- 2 winners will receive a signed SET of all 7 books from Christina Henry
To enter, use the Rafflecopter form, below. The giveaway hop will run Oct. 6 to Nov. 7, 2014 (times on the Rafflecopter form). Winner(s) chosen at random from all eligible entries. Open to participants, 18 years or older, who are legally allowed to participate in such a contest as allowed by their local laws. All federal, state, local, and municipal laws and regulations apply. Void where prohibited. No purchase necessary. By participating in the contest, participants agree to be bound by the decisions of the contest sponsor. Prize will be delivered by the contest sponsor. This blog, its reviewers, and owner are not responsible for items lost in the mail. By entering this giveaway, participants agree to abide by these terms.
If you have trouble with the Rafflecopter form, please email me at twimom227 at gmail dot com.