Welcome to #FitReaders2023!! Felicia the Geeky Blogger and I are super excited to be co-hosting this fitness-oriented group for another year! If you have any questions about #FitReaders, you can leave them in the comment section or email me at twimom227(at)gmail(dot)com.
Most of our support is done via our Facebook Group. I will post my weekly check-in posts on Fridays, as it helps me be accountable. You are welcome to do your own check-in posts, check in below, in the comments, or check in with the Facebook group – whatever works for you!
I check in here every Friday, but my fitness week is Monday – Sunday. So my check-ins are always about a week behind.
Last Week (January 2 – January 8, 2023):
The first full week of 2023 was pretty good. My daughter returned to school for half days. Luckily I work from home and we live close to the high school, so driving her back and forth isn’t a problem. My son was gone for the last part of the week, taking his girlfriend back to college and checking out her town. He doesn’t return to college until Jan. 16th. I was able to get back into a routine with walking and enjoyed taking my daily breathing meditation. Generally, I do it in the morning to start my day and set some intensions.
Weight: I was down 0.7 lbs.
Goals: I hit all but my caloric intake goal, which was still fewer calories than previous weeks, so I’m happy. Below, I left up my thought process for setting this years goals, in case you missed it last week. I want to focus on being kind to myself and being present during the day.
Don’t forget to join the Facebook Group and check in with us there!
Goals for January:
- Use the breathe mediation app on my watch daily – 7/7 days
- Close all three “rings” in Apple Watch, 5 days per week. -5/5 days
- Move with purpose (exercise) at least 30 minutes, 5 days per week. – 5/5 days
- Be under my DAILY caloric intake maximum on at least 2 days. – 2/2 days
- Be no more than 750 calories over my total calorie consumption goal each week. – no (+1,184 cals)
- Limit alcohol intake to 2 days per week (for a total of 4 servings per week). – 2 days (3 servings)
My overall goals for 2023 are:
When thinking about goals that are meaningful for the upcoming year, I struggled a bit. I’ve been “trying to lose weight” for several years now. At first it was only five pounds, then it was ten. I would lose some but then gain it back. A year ago, I reexamined where I was and what I thought was realistic for the lifestyle I was living, and I still failed. I don’t want to “give up,” but it’s also clear to me that unless I want to make major permanent changes to my lifestyle (exercise and diet), that I will not meet weight loss goals. And the bottom line is, I’m content where I’m at. I’m about 10 pounds over the “healthy range” for my age and body frame, and at almost 52 years old, I’m good with that. So I’ve readjusted my “weight loss” goal. As for yoga and meditation, a goal I added a couple years ago, I do need to add that back. Mentally I’m not there, but the yoga is so important for maintaining healthy bones and muscle mass.
- To maintain a healthy weight and not exceed my January 1st weight. I will do with through healthy eating and exercise. I don’t have to be perfect, but I do need to make a true effort.
- To add yoga and add meditation to my weekly routine. I will do this with the Peloton app, with a goal of yoga at least one time per week. I will do this with the Apple Watch Breathe app, with a goal of a short breathing meditation every day.
- To remain an active member of FitReaders and support my fellow members. I will do this by actively participating in the FitReader Facebook Group and continuing to share my journey with my weekly check-in on the blog.